The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program offers public assistance to eligible households.

  • LIHEAP provides CUC crisis assistance when a household’s utility services are shut off or about to shut off.
  • LIHEAP will pay the connection fee or disconnection fee to ensure the individual’s utility services are restored or to deter it from being shut off.
  • LIHEAP also provides energy bill payment assistance every month, in which the amount varies based on the income of the household.
  • LIHEAP provides weatherization and energy-related home repairs that will save energy costs and prevent cooling costs.

For eligibility, the household has to meet the eligibility income and all required documents must be provided to process your application in a timely manner.

For an Applicant to be Eligible:

  • Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
  • applicant must be low-income, elderly, disabled, or no income.
  • Applicant should be the head of the household.
  • Utility bill must have the name of the applicant. (If renting or leasing and the electrical meter is in the property owner’s name, the applicant must obtain a written statement as the terms and conditions of the rent or lease signed and acknowledged by the house unit owner).

Documents Required for Processing and Determining Qualification:

  • Copy of Birth certificates or U.S. passports of all household members.
  • Copy of Social Security Cards of all household members.
  • Copy of Marriage Certificate
  • CUC bill

Documents Required for Proof of Income:

  • Three (3) latest check stubs (of all working household members)
  • Commissions
  • Employment Bonuses
  • Lease Agreement
  • Veterans Pension
  • Savings/Checking Account
  • Social Security Statement
  • Child Support
  • Alimony
  • Monetary Inheritances
  • Interest and dividends from saving and investment
  • CNMI Tax Form 1040 if self-employed